About Digital Leaders
This is now our 4th year of having digital leaders in school and they are a fantastic asset to the school community. We now have a group of 24 digital leaders, two or three students from each class for years 3 through to year 6. All the digital leaders went through a application process where they created a presentation at home explaining why they would make an amazing GBS Digital Leader. We had lots of applicants and it was really hard to choose.
We meet EVERY Tuesday lunch time in the ICT Suite, between 12.15 and 12.45, obviously giving up your Tuesday lunch time is a key attribute to being a digital leader. During the year we work on special projects and groups are released from class to work with Jenny on these projects.
The digital leaders are always taught a new topic first and then they can help during their ICT lesson, some digital leaders have even presented the new skills they have learnt in our sessions to their class and some have gone and taught other classes. They are all taught the same from year 3 - 6, so they are all picking up on skills used throughout the whole school.
In previous years we have taken the digital leaders to the Apple shop for expert hands on training with apple software and products.
Just some of the topics we covered over the years
- Scratch programming
- Creating iMovies
- Garage Band
- Pages on the iPad
- Fixing problems in the classrooms
- Setting up a computer, all the cables
- Took an old computer apart to identify parts
- Looking after all IT equipment, ICT Suit, Trolleys, iPads
- Green screen movie's
- Created a Safer Internet Video for whole school to watch
- Open Broadcasting Software for screen casting - Creating help movies
- Google Apps - Google Drive - Sharing work and collaboration - eMail
- Google Classrooms
- Editing photos
- Weebly Web design and blogging - so they can maintain their class blog
- How to maintain the iPads
- Internet Safety
Plus much much more.
Safer Internet Day 2016 - DL Assembly
Safer Internet Day 2015 - Our Digital Leaders
Digital Leaders Help Movies
When the digital leaders learn new things they try to find time to create a help movie to go with it. You can watch their movies on our school You Tube channel.